Administrator

Climbing Chatter - November 3

Charlie Hickenbottom manages an email list that has nearly a hundred local climbers on it that helps those climbers keep tabs on who might be headed out to climb on any given week or weekend. Charlie sent the climbing chatter list this message today:

"Perhaps a dozen or so of the folks from the climbing chatter list were seen out at Frenchman yesterday. I hadn't been out cragging there on a weekend in quite a while, more typically being out there on weekdays. It's kinda amazing how many people were out there, but seemingly able to spread out and give everyone some space to have fun. As we hiked in from the lower trail and going past the Riverview Wall we spotted Jacob and Cameron from Ellensburg already on the rock. They said they'd be moving along the wall and probably find us later. Perhaps six hours later they had made it over to Millennium and mentioned that they were climbing pitch #41 for the day. We were kinda amazed, and they explained that they had begun climbing at 6:30 a.m. and weren't stopping much for breaks. As we left with our ten-dozen pitch counts they were hoping to get to 50 before calling it a day. I'd guess that they would be able to pull it off without having to resort to headlamps if they continued at the same pace. I"m not sure anyone is keeping track, but sounds like some sort of record to me. Great energy, guys. Luca and Laura were fun to visit with, hailing from Italy. With Dilly already retired from tree fruit research and the Giordanis beginning their careers in the same field here in Wenatchee, I learned quite a bit about apples and sport climbing in Italy. Luca and Laura mentioned how friendly people from the climbing chatter have been with regard to including them in other's climbing plans. It's nice to hear that our group of climbers is thought to be a friendly bunch. Great day to be out there yesterday with several hours of t-shirt weather."

I saw the email and wish I could have made it but had other obligations out of town. Next time.