Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Twin Peaks - Ski & Snowshoeing Conditions

December 13, 2015 First ski of the season up Twin Peaks and conditions were good this morning -- could ski right from the end of pavement. The dirt road has a firm base over that is coated with several inches of fresh snow -- excellent conditions. It was chinooking this morning with strong winds up on the peak and temperatures cooler in valley than up high. Not sure how long conditions will hold here but it's excellent right now. Off the road, the depth of the snow is questionable. I short cutted the switchbacks in the road in several places and on the return, was hitting a bit of wood. With a bit more snow, however, the off-road skiing could be excellent.

How do you think fat biking would go right now up there?

Administrator
    Not having ridden fat bikes in snow, I don't know. I suspect they'd get through the snow on the lower mountain and might bog down as the snow gets deeper about 2/3s of the way up. Even up high, the base below the fluff is firm so maybe they could plow through.

Administrator
    December 16, 2015. Snow conditions on the road up Twin Peaks are still excellent. Enjoyed a little before-work ski this morning. Local dog accompanied us to the top. I wonder how often he would run to the top in one day if skiers and snowshoers just kept arriving.

Quote Originally Posted by adappen View Post
    December 16, 2015. Snow conditions on the road up Twin Peaks are still excellent. Enjoyed a little before-work ski this morning. Local dog accompanied us to the top. I wonder how often he would run to the top in one day if skiers and snowshoers just kept arriving.
    He's followed me to the top on my bike in summer too.

Yah I think that dog has probably put more miles up and down twin peaks than just about any human.

Looking like it could possibly be some pretty good skiing up there this weekend.

Administrator
    I've been getting some turns in on the slopes between the road's meanderings...snow is definitely thin for me (Mr. Rolfs would rate it unimaginably plump). Today's snow could really help.

Administrator
    December 23. 2015. My daughter had just gotten home for the holidays. After a 7.5-hour drive getting here from Tacoma (Snoqualmie Pass was a mess), she was anxious for some exercise, so we headed up toward Twin Peaks. We skied the road a short distance, then climbed one of the slopes bordering the road. We climbed for 45 minutes or an hour to a logical high point with a nice fall line descent. We stripped skins, put on headlamps, and night-skied down south-facing slopes coated with powder (yes, unusual). One portion of the run was steeper and had a thin crust but, overall, it was a beautiful run. The Twin Peaks coverage is really good right now -- not sure I've ever skied this particular slope with so little concern about grounding out.

Twin Peaks - Ski & Snowshoeing Conditions

Did the same on 12/23. Best conditions I've seen up there since I've been in town.

Mike and I skied up from his house to Beehive mountain. Pretty views, and a nice hike, but rather terrible skiing back down.