Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    Sunday December 27, 2015.
    Skied up to the second gate on the Twin Peaks road then hooked left on the road up toward the divide above Mission Creek. Before reaching the divide, I left the road and climbed the flat-topped peaklet on uphill right (to the north). Thought there might be some nice, steep north-facing tree runs off the the top of this peaklet to lap. Struck out with the north facing stuff -- it was too heavily treed for continuous fallline skiing. I did find some good SE facing runs that are 500 to 600 vertical feet long. There are better runs around Twin Peaks but if time is short it's an easy place to get in a few quick laps.

Administrator
    Sunday January 3, 2016. I've taken a few different laps on Twin Peaks over the past week. Skied from the north end of the big meadow up south facing slopes directly to the West Summit. This avoids the road and is an interesting way to get to the top on mellow slopes that very few people know about or bother to explore. The upper slopes were windblown and the snow variable on the descent but once down about 500 vertical feet the slopes were more forested, better protected and held nice snow despite their exposure. Nice skiing down to the meadow.

I've also done a few quick laps with my daughters of the 3761-foot peaklet on the southeast ridge of Twin Peaks. This can be climbed quickly and has quite a number of mellow but enjoyable slopes leading back down to the road. With the new snow we received on January 3 and 4, the slopes should be refreshed with good snow. Most of this area is south facing so the snow is likely to get crusty and difficult as soon as the temperatures rise a bit.

Sunday January 17, 2016. I snowshoed up to the saddle overlook below Twin Peaks and found about 8-10" of fresh dry powder on top of an old crust. Your old skin track and ski tracks were pretty well filled in. Much cooler up there than in town, so the snow was holding up well. Looked like it might be good skiing all the way back to the car.

Administrator
    Saturday January 16, 2016. Twin Peaks is getting strong visitations among skiers and snowshoers... as it should given that it's so close to town yet has a remote feel to it. The little pullout at the top of the paved section of the road was full and I had to park the car about 150 yards down the road and nudge into the snowbank. Such antics are likely to annoy the residents up there, so it might be wise to have recreationalists lobby the county to plow a slightly larger pullout when we have these favorable snow conditions. It wouldn't take much effort for a plow to make enough room for 10 cars versus the 6 or so the pullout can currently handle. On Saturday my wife and I Nordic skied up to the second gate and then went left, following the snowed-over road to the pass between Number 2 Canyon Road and Mission Creek. At the pass we turned right and followed the roads on the gentle crest leading to clearing where Waterbar World (a mountain biking trail) takes off. It's a nice route with a few views over Twin Peaks. Snow quality was good.

The roads here climb enough that skinny skins (about 1.25 inches wide) make the ascent on cross-country skis much easier (no back sliding). For intermediate and beginning cross-country skiers, keeping skinny skins on during the descent is actually much safer,too -- you'll get good glide without generating a crazy head of speed.

Administrator
    Friday January 22, 2016. Nordic skied up Twin Peaks late this morning and early this afternoon with an out-of-town visitor. The snow is actually holding up pretty well. By the time we were coming down, the wet snow on top of the snowpack was crusting over a bit but, fortunately, not so much so that you couldn't break the crust to slow down on skinny skis.

As we were skiing uphill we met Andrea Whitaker who was snowshoeing down the road with Luke, the increasingly famous dog who lives at end of pavement up Number 2 Canyon Road with Andrea and her husband. Luke was initially having a hard time deciding whether to go back up again with us, but exercised great wisdom by staying true to the human who feeds and houses him and carried on down the road with Andrea. By the time we were coming down, however, Andrea was safely back home and Luke had found other Nordic skiers to accompany on another uphill lap.

Administrator
    February 2, 2016. The snow is holding up well on Twin Peaks but because warm temperatures are predicted later in the week, I thought I better ski a line I've been pining for for weeks -- the East Ridge. The East Ridge is a bit rocky and the snowpack needs to consolidate to ski it without smacking things skis don't like. But this year between the depth of the snowpack and the fact that snowpack has now seen some freeze-thaw action, the coverage is really dense and protective of skis.

A good outing is to ski the ridge to about the 2,750-foot level and then drop off the ridge and ski the north facing slopes down into Number One Canyon Creek (which is running with water right now) at the 2000-foot level. This gives about 2600 vertical feet of skiing in a setting that is surprisingly wild. You're also likely to be surprised how terrain Twin Peaks has on it -- it's a big hunk of ground. You'll need to climb out of the hole you ski into because there is no way to exit down Canyon Number One without trespassing.

If you're interested in quality of turns, the better way to ski the ridge is to keep dropping north-facing slopes down and then traversing back to the ridge. Staying close to the ridge has its advantages for spectacular scenery however. The snow today was a mixed bag with crust and dust-on-crust on the ridge itself and a few inches of powder on crust on the north-facing slopes. All-in-all it skied pretty nicely and the scenery was certainly worth the effort.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TwinPeaks-EastRid-Ski2016.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	1742

Name:	IMG_5330.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	1743 views near summit

Name:	IMG_5347.JPG