Administrator

Stevens Pass - Dementia Tour

The feeble minds of Tom Janisch and Kyle Flick, joined my own ineffectual intellectual company on the Dementia Tour between Stevens Pass and Smithbrook Road. Three 20-watt bulbs pooled together gave us 60 watts of brilliance and we successfully navigated the route without wandering down the wrong drainage to become coyote food or media fodder.

As is usually the case, the middle half of the traverse was devoid of people, tracks, or any evidence of human visitation. Kyle had the bad manners of leaving his orange peels behind in one of the deepest, darkest sections of forests so that future skiers might experience the joy of knowing they are on route.

The snow (dense powder) was heavy to break but fabulous to ski. Most of the route is below treeline and the bonding of new snow to old was excellent. The logical direction of travel for the non-demented is to start at Stevens Pass and ski to Smithbrook – this starts you higher always and has you descending north-facing slopes.

Map

Tour Details

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5671.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	1751 A sunny start to a day (Stevens Pass shown here) that ended quite differently (rain/snow mix)

Name:	IMG_5676.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	1752 Kyle Flick utterly bored with the powder -- "Give me something challenging would ya."

Name:	IMG_5701.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	1753 Heavy breaking on the way up a peaklet flanking Valhalla Lake to the west

Name:	IMG_5706.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	1754 Skiing down into Lake Valhalla

Thanks for the timely report. Jamie and I and Dan Peck did a modified and shortened version of your tour on Tuesday. The skiing was all cold north slopes. It was a great tour.

Name:	Capture - Copy.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	1755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	1756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	1757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture3.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	1758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture4.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	1759Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture5.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	1760Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture6.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	1761

Administrator
    How was the stability off Tye Peak -- the top 400 to 500 on that north side is steep?
    Might it be time to go really big and do the Nine Circles of Hell Tour (created by adding Lichtenberg and Jove to the Seventh Heaven Tour)?

http://www.justgetout.net/ClientFile...7thHeaven2.JPG

Holy Smokes Andy! You have a big appetite for skiing. I don't know if I'm man enough for the Nine Circles tour. The stability was variable. North faces were generally good with the exception of one very small surface slough right at the top of Tye Peak. It was pretty steep, just right for powder skiing. There were nervous spots on the south sides on the way up.

Administrator
    I doubt I could muster the speed or endurance to actually do all nine in a day, but as an ultralight overnight it's probably in my wheelhouse. Interested?