Cool Stemilt Basin Outdoor Recreation

Hi Outdoor Enthusiasts!

We are doing a survey on behalf of the Stemilt/Squilchuck Recreation Planning Committee. There is great opportunity right now in creating a recreation plan for the Stemilt Basin located just outside of Wenatchee. What we need to know at this point is WHO is using the Stemilt Basin for recreation and WHAT type of recreation is being done in the Stemilt Basin?

Please help our committee out by chiming in. Are you using the area, and if so, what type of activities are you doing there? Thank you!!!!!!!!

I ski frequently in the Stemilt basin. I have accessed it from Upper Wheeler Reservoir, from Squilchuck State Park, from the base area of Mission Ridge, and from the top of Mission Ridge. The easiest winter access is from the top of Chair Two, but it is also easy to get in there from the Parking lot by heading east into the woods and over the shoulder at the base of the Bowl 4 cliff band. In addition to the excellent terrain, the main value of the area is it's undeveloped and infrequently visited nature. Unlike the lift access areas, the snow in the Stemilt basin stays pristine for days, weeks, months? after a storm. The area provides great skiing for limited commitment, even if the time available is only a portion of a day. This is unique in the Wenatchee area where many other options are available but require all, or most, of a day due to drive time and approach logistics. Day trips to the Icicle, Stevens Pass, Blewitt Pass, Entiat, Chelan Mtns, or Hwy 20 are all possible, but require a large time commitment. The area adjacent to Mission Ridge can be visited and enjoyed between dropping your kids off in a ski program and picking them up for lunch.

Same as Mike for skiing but also cycling on the extensive road system. Hiking isn't as enjoyable and it would be nice if there were hiking trails. Most of the use is fishing, ORV/motorcycling, snowmobiling and hunting. Those users groups are quite large compared to the demographic on this forum.

Thank you to Mike and Aaron for your responses. I appreciate it! I will pass this information along to the head of the planning committee to share with the Stemilt Basin partnership group.

Thank you "Shaffer" for teeing up the question. I couldn't get my message to send so I sent you a private message. Could you post it for me?
    I have a young family. We like to drive into the Basin then hike around the ridge lines. However, the roads on the West side of the Basin, Wheeler Ridge Road, are terrible. It was fun to have a good road into the Basin like a trail head, then launch hikes. I think a set of multi-use trails would be great! Squilchuck State Parks seems under-utilized and could be a great spot to enhance to get folks into the Basin. Also, there is still too much destructive recreation going on with folks “mudding” in sensitive locations. In addition, folks are still dumping their trash off the roads.
    Looking forward to the dialogue!
    West Mathison