Thread: Pot Peak

Pot Peak

Pot Peak is a ho-hum peak located close to the Pot Peak Trail, a little more than five miles from the trailhead. Elevation gain is nearly 3000 feet, offering a substantial workout. Views are good from several locations along the trail of Lake Chelan and the 25 Mile Creek drainage. Views from the actual summit are somewhat limited by trees blocking the way. To access the trail drive the South Lakeshore Trail to just beyond 25 Mile Creek State Park, then head up 25 Mile Creek for a few miles on first a paved road, than on gravel to the Pot Peak Trailhead. No passes are needed, although trailhead amenities include a horse unloading station, a FS vault toilet, and nearby Ramona Park NF campground. Parking is available for half a dozen cars. The tread is excellent throughout, but the trail is marred by numerous brushy spots, mostly buckbrush. The trail is designated as multi-use, but I would not recommend it to motorcyclists or mountain bikers due to the encroaching vegetation. As a hiker I was able to push my way through numerous spots. Only a few blowdowns block the trail. A very energetic hiker could do a 20 mile dayhike to Devils Backbone and back, but I'd skip it unless I knew that the brush had been cut back. I used the northwest ridge of Pot Peak for about 200 vertical feet of scrambling with a bit of brush to reach a summit with a small cairn. A small watercourse at about 1.5 miles offers water now in early summer, but may dry up later. Other than that, consider this a dry trail throughout.

Charlie Hickenbottom, Wenatchee, 6-25-2016

Administrator
    Charlie, Thanks for the update and condition report. Good to know about the brush.

The Pot Peak Trail is a popular descent for mountain bikers doing the Devil's Backbone via mountain bike. If you do the ride without a car shuttle, you park in the Ramona Park Campground, ride uphill for about 12.5 miles toward Shady Pass, branch off on a smaller forest road (FR 114) leading to the Devils Backbone Trailhead (Trail 1448) in a half mile. From here there's some 7 miles of trail riding and hike-a-biking along the Devils Backbone as you pass East Peak and Angle Peak before reaching the intersection with the Pot Peak Trail (Trail 1226). The descent from this intersection back to the campground where you started (Ramona) is considered one of the better mountain biking descents in the state. The descent is about eight miles long along a trail with a good tread and a good angle for riding.

It would be a bummer to do all the hard work to reach the upper end of the Pot Peak Trail and then find brush strangling the descent, so riders might want to keep tabs with the Forest Service to see that trail has been brushed out before they do the ride. They might even want to lobby the Forest Service (Chelan District) to brush out the trail given that this trail has some stature in mountain biking circles.

The buckbrush is intense the one time I rode Pot Peak - but it was mostly the upper section. The riding on devil's backbone to pot peak was also very challenging with lots of hike-a-bike. From a riding perspective, the easiest and least time consuming option is to just ride up Pot Peak as far as you can stand it and come back down.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5313093.pdf

Great map for the area.

Administrator
    Thanks for the link to the map. Which other trails on that map have you ridden recently and which were good rides?

That's a tough question. I have not made it up into the Entiat trail system as much this year as I would like to. A friend told me that Grouse Creek Campground -> 1548 -> 6210 -> 1409.1 -> 1523 was a very good ride.

The loops tend to be very big up there, and unless you've gotten a good TR from someone, or have the RD confirm that a trail is in good shape, it can be a roll of the dice.

I did a ride a few weeks ago where we started at the 5700 / 5709 intersection -> Tyee Mountain -> 1413 -> 1409 -> 5709. The top portion of 1413 was great, but the lower portion was a massive bushwhack. The descent took as long as the climb!

I did 5900 -> 1443 (Lake Creek) last year. This was a grueling climb, and a totally amazing descent. If you're willing to do a ~4500ft road climb, the ~12 miles of almost continuous descending is totally worth it.

Administrator
    I've got the Lake Creek ride on my list.