Administrator

Mission Peak and Mission Ridge Trails

Saturday July 2, 2016. Hiked up Mission Peak via the old road to the long-gone lookout. The start of the road/trail takes off from the Beehive Road 2.7 miles beyond the Upper Devils Gulch Trailhead (or about 0.9 miles past the Mission Ridge Trailhead). The road is slow beyond the Devils Gulch trailhead and slower still past the Mission Ridge Trail but was not a problem in a Subaru Outback (cars with quite low clearance might have trouble). There are a few small pullouts on road right immediately past the start of the hike. The trail is just under 2 miles long (one way).

The skeets were out and it was fortunate that my wife almost always carries bug repellent (I usually need one itchy reminder each year to encourage me to throw some DEET into the pack).

Lots of wildflowers and cool temperatures (the summit is about 6,800 feet) make this a good summer hike.
    The trail is also a good mountain bike ride with almost of the trail being ridable except the last few hundred yards which are rocky enough that most people will want to walk this part.

Is this the road that goes past Thea (sp?) Lake?

Administrator
    I believe that is the local name of the lake passed after about 0.75 miles (lake is on climber's right as you're hiking into the peak). My understanding is that the lake was named after Thea Fagen. Anyone who can verify the name of the lake and/or the story behind the lake's name should weigh in -- good local knowledge to know about.

I was thinking of you while doing the hike, Mike. Figured with your new bike a good ride for you would be to park at the Beehive, ride the road and this trail up Mission Peak and then return via this trail, Mission Ridge Trail, upper Devils Gulch, and the Beehive trails. Good ascending on roads and then lots of single track on the way back. Or park at the switchback below the ski area and use the Devils Tie Trail to reach the Upper Devils Gulch and then go up Mission Peak from there. You're going to have all kinds of new fun.

I've been doing both the rides you suggest Andy, they're nice when the weather is warm down low. I will park at Beehive Tie TH and do a loop around the HH reservoirs and up LB Rd. When parking at the spur pullout will ride the road to Mission Ridge lot and then take the service road/Pipeline out to LB road and up or down to the saddle on Devil's Gulch and back. Upper Mission Ridge trail is horrible for the first mile and a half. Worst condition I've seen it in.

Administrator
    Sad to hear about the upper Mission Ridge Trail. What's the nature of the problem -- water damage, blow down, over use of the trail when the ground was soft...?

Big, loose basalt chunks on the steeper, narrow and rocky parts of the trail. Not the usual chicken heads, but baby head size and bigger and the ruts are deeper with the rocks in them. Likely turned over and churned up by motos. I'm not down on them, it's just the nature of that trail. The lower mile and a half to the saddle is really good as of a week ago. The upper part just isn't pleasant on a bike IMO. I don't notice on foot so much.

Administrator
    The top has always been a knuckle rattler -- sounds like it's even worse now. Bikers beware.

I've always wondered the name of that lake. Good info!