Wenatchee to Ellensburg

AlanS and I had a fun adventure on Sunday, recreating my Battle of the Bikes adventure from six years ago, by riding up and over to Ellensburg. We started at 6:30am from my house, headed up Stemilt Creek Rd. to Stemilt Loop, then up Upper Basin Loop Rd. to Schaller Rd. and eventually to Jumpoff Ridge. The only brutal part of this stretch was Schaller Rd. because it's sustained, rocky and steep for about 3 miles, think Tibbets Rd for comparison. I've never ridden up Jumpoff but I get the sense it would be the same consistency.

From Four Corners we went right on Naneum Ridge Rd. and descended via Coleman Creek Rd. to the pavement. Then we hit a nice headwind for the final 14 miles to Ellensburg. The ascent is rocky but rideable. The descent is, at times, bone rattling rocky on a hardtail. If I were to do it again I would descend Naneum Creek for variety and have someone shuttle me a big downhill bike for the descent and a road bike for the flats. ;o)

Lots of bow hunters and other recreationalists shooting stuff.

MapMyRide

While pretty rocky for a short stretch, the climb up Colockum Rd to Colockum Pass/Four Corners area is a nicer climb than Schaller Grade. The ride across the upper flats from Colockum Pass and down Colockum road into the valley is pretty pleasant.

Badass! Did you return via the same route? I've contemplated attempting to ride beehive road to ellensburg and then return via the route you described.

Wenatchee to Ellensburg

Returned over Blewett in a 2004 Volvo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to ride Liberty-Beehive Rd./FS 9712 from town, a nicer ride than over to Ellensburg is to ride from town, up Suilchuck and take 9712 to just past Diamond Head and then take 9716 to Blewett Pass at US 97 and then cross the Hwy and ride down Scotty Creek Rd return to Peshastin and ride backroads to Wenatchee. It's around 83 miles with just over 8000' of climbing. One of my favorite rides.

AaronW, the ride you described sounds awesome! Thanks for the tip.

It does sound fun but I'm afraid of that highway riding. I've driven Blewett 4 times in the last 2 weeks and I want to start exploring that region a bit more.

It's only a few miles on 97 and if you do it in the fall there are fewer people on the highway. The shoulder is huge.