Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator

Mission Ridge - Condition Reports 2016-17

Mission Ridge Skiers: Please keep adding to this thread -- give other skiers the real scoop on the mountain conditions you encountered.

December 21, 2016. Winter solstice is upon us, so getting up to Mission for my first day of downhill skiing seemed appropriate. Temperatures were warm relative to what they had been over the past few weeks (about 30 degrees at the base and low to mid 20s up top) which is a good thing for solidifying the base. The wind which accompanied the recent snows also stiffened that snow -- this, too, is a good thing while the ski area is trying to build a solid base.

Skiing was good, all the chairs were running and most of the mountain was open, although the snow pack was still thin on many runs. The top of the steeper runs I sampled (Tyee, Lip Lip, Nertz, WaWa) had hard matter to watch for, but after the first few turns you could find lines with good coverage. Still not a terrible idea to use rock skis if you’re going to ski the entire mountain and explore off-piste. Not a bad idea to ski with a helmet, too, on the off chance that a rock or stump suddenly alters your momentum.

December 27, 2016 - Good conditions today on the lower mountain. Didn't venture up higher because of the cold winds and cold kids but enjoyed a few runs on 1 and 4. We attempted to take our youngest on the rope tow but were stymied by all of the kids taking lessons. It was troublesome because there was only one lift operator on the tow who was overwhelmed with the number of kids falling and flailing. I'm guessing there were a lot of kids who got ski lessons for Christmas and new gear and wanted to give it a shot. For a paying customer who only maybe got 3 runs on the rope tow in half an hour it was frustrating. We ended up just dragging our kid up the hill multiple times.

What could make it better? Seems too steep for a magic carpet. Another lift op to help get started on the rope tow and pick up the skis from the kids who have fallen seems like a natural addition. Too many kids in lessons cutting lines and instructors letting it happen. I felt bad for everyone involved.

Follow up: Emailed info@missonridge.com with some suggestions and received an email the next morning from Josh saying he would spend some time on the rope tow today and look for ways to make improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by raybirks View Post
    Follow up: Emailed info@missonridge.com with some suggestions and received an email the next morning from Josh saying he would spend some time on the rope tow today and look for ways to make improvements.
    That Josh is a good guy.

Administrator
    Did a little Nordic skiing at Squilchuck State Park several days ago right after the big dump. Good to see lots of people using the State Park -- most for sledding and a moderate number snowshoeing. My wife and I skied out of the park and took the road that climbs to the Stemilt Basin. I've never seen the slopes the road cuts across covered with so much snow. Trail breaking was slow with the knee-deep snow. I suspect now that the snow has had a few days to set up, it will have more structure and won't be so bottomless (i.e., it will break better).

It's a good time to enjoy Squilchuck but be informed that you need a Discover Pass to park within the park AND to park in the small lot by the entrance gate. You won't have a good day if you come back to a $99 ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by adappen View Post
    Trail breaking was slow with the knee-deep snow.
    I've never worked as hard to travel through snow as big Monday. Since I've got short legs, my experience was different. Your knee-deep was my nut-deep!

Quote Originally Posted by mikerolfs View Post
    I've never worked as hard to travel through snow as big Monday. Since I've got short legs, my experience was different. Your knee-deep was my nut-deep!
    I took the dogs for a hok ski between Mission and Beehive on Saturday and it was too deep too turn or get much glide. It was thigh deep on me. The dogs got a good workout in an hour and a half.

Bowl 4 on Thursday and Friday were about as good as it gets out there. Becky and I hiked to the towers 4 times on Friday.

Skied toured up there yesterday (1/10/17). Left the parking lot about 5 AM and was back to the car by 6:30. Just a single run up and down Bomber. Light dusting on top of packed powder. On Sunday, skied up to Lake Clara, thought about going out to Mission Peak but a storm was coming in so just headed back to the top of Central Park. Still good pockets of fresh snow in Central Park.

Administrator
    Since the big dump, I've been hitting the Twin Peaks area frequently. That area didn't get the huge dump but there is moderately good coverage up there. Lots of slopes to sample where the breaking is fairly easy and that have good enough coverage that you won't hit too many things -- plan to hit a few things. Some very moderate terrain here where the skiing is fun but the avalanche hazard is low to non-existent

Quote Originally Posted by adappen View Post
    Since the bid dump, I've been hitting the Twin Peaks area frequently. That area didn't get the huge dump but there is moderately good coverage up there. Lots of slopes to sample where the breaking is fairly easy and that have good enough coverage that you won't hit too many things -- plan to hit a few things. Some very moderate terrain here where the skiing is fun but the avalanche hazard is low to non-existent
    Saw your tracks when I was up there yesterday. Beautiful day.