Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sage Hills Conditions - 2017

April 1st is upon us. What are the trail conditions you've experienced so far?

- 4/1 Homestead had a few patches of snow on the very top two traverses, otherwise was riding great. I suspect they're probably gone by now.
    - Glacier View looked to be rideable and we saw bikers on it. Didn't go any higher up so I'm not sure exactly what's closed.
    - Still grumbling about the poor trail work done on Lower Sage near the Day Drive entrance. It's a little better than last fall but not much. Hopefully will get smoothed out by increased traffic.
    - Balsamroot is in good shape but still fairly bumpy. Does it not get enough traffic or too much?
    - Horse Lake Road is fine with only one puddle that I noticed.
    - The Middle Traverse (northern part of Coyote Canyon) is pretty rutted, especially on that funky wall-ride corner just south of the spring. It usually smooths out as the season progresses.
    - Coyote Canyon was in good shape. Didn't seem to be the normal spring horse rides this year that often tear it up.

We hiked the road to the top of Glacier View and down Glacier View yesterday. Overall the trail is in good condition but I thought it might be a bit early for biking it. There were a few muddy sections easily avoidable on foot but there were some pretty deep ruts in the tread from bikes since opening. The road between the top of Homestead and the intersection with Apricot/Glacier was really muddy, again mostly avoidable on foot, and there are a lot of sections with deep ruts from bikes. No horse damage noted unlike previous springs. I'm eager to get out on the bike but I might wait a week. The forecast doesn't look too good for trail conditions.

The choppy section of lower sage was rough on saturday but was pretty smooth yesterday when I cruised through.

I guess balsamroot gets low traffic, I didn't go there either day. Saw someone riding it yesterday but everyone else parked down low seemed to be coming up the road instead.

And seriously you spandex wearing tour de France wannabes need to quit riding through the vegetation to avoid people. If you are going downhill you need to yield till they pass you. Is that spandex so tight it is cutting off blood flow to your heads?
    Last edited by SNSTREXGRTR69; 04-04-2017 at 09:12 PM.

@sns - agreed on the trail etiquette, especially from those that know better (assuming the spandex crowd is more experienced than the once-in-a-while users). We create the trail system we desire through our collective actions and words.

Glacier View was good today with only one major muddy spot about 1/2 way up. No more snow at the top of Homestead. Apricot Crisp was open but I didn't ride up there today. A few flowers starting to peak out here and there.

Rode up Lightning on Friday, it was a little more rutted than usual but rideable. Apricot was in great shape except the bottom 200 yards. Looks like somebody started up on a horse, but decided to turn around. The most water I have ever seen in Horselake

Any word on upper apricot and the way toward twin peaks? I was on the summit(s) today and it looked like the full #2/sage traverse might be rideable in 2~ weeks.

Administrator
    Some of the higher north-side roads are slow to dry and unpuddle. I suspect your time estimate is fairly accurate.

I completed the full #2/Sage trek today. One patch of snow on the descent just before where the road becomes insanely steep, easy to bypass. A couple muddy spots after you enter CDLT land, one muddy bog on Apricot Crisp. Rode Homestead to Coyote Canyon to Lester Trail then flying down 5th street to the loop.

Where is the insanely steep part of the road? On Sunday, I rode from the end of the pavement(got dropped off by my woman) to the summit and then back down to the main road and around the west shoulder to traverse the north side of Horse Lake Mt. There were a few patches of snow that weren't blocking the road, I think I rode through one patch that was 2-3" deep and 3' across. Mud in the usual spots on the old jeep road and at the spring on Apricot Crisp.