Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Most of the time I ride like Larry and Karen describe. I like to take the hwy from Easy St to Apple/Sunset and ride into Cashmere via Hughes/Eels/Nahahum and the hit the hwy to North Dryden and cross at the light to Stine Hill. If riding all the way to Leavenworth I'll hit the hwy/Saunders/North Rd and return via hwy to Deadman. It's too bad the left onto Saunders from 2 heading back to Wenatchee is prohibited now.

Administrator
    A few more comments received through emails:

From Gary Womeldorff, an avid road rider from Everett:
    "As someone who doesn’t know your local roads, I think it’s a great idea to sign a route. Even though I haven’t minded riding on Hwy 2, it would be nice to have a quieter option. Here are my thoughts on including an unpaved section. I’m not familiar with Kelly road but would be suspicious of any route that went off pavement. I’ve ridden lots of unpaved sections on my road bike; they’ve ranged from very good to very bad. The problem from a tourist’s perspective is that you’re depending on someone else’s opinion. You don’t know if it’s recommended because it’s okay for mountain bikes, or if it’s part of the route just because they were afraid to send you on a highway. You also don’t know the current conditions. I do think it would be good to add as an option so riders could make their own choice. I think it would also help if you could post a small map at the major entrances so riders have an idea of what the route looks like."

From Bill Wicheta:
    I dream of a bike only route winding away from the highway to Leavenworth like the Loop Trail. I guess that won't happen for a long time so the next best would be adding a paved bike path off to the side, but seperate from, an existing road. I have seen this many places in the west. The Tetons is one, even outside the park. I saw a long paved cycle route about 20 to 30 feet off the side of the highway, with some ups and downs (i.e., not an old railway!), heading north out of St. George on the way to Snow Canyon State Park.

From Chris Stahler
    "Wonderful idea. these are reasonable. an alternate route from easy street to read apple road on the highway and then from Aplet Way to North Dryden Road is good as well."

From Carl Kjobech
    Quite a few less skilled and older riders will be surprised, and perhaps intimidated by the final descent to Cashmere on Kelly Road. The same is likely true with the grade on Deadman Hill from the east. Both might result in road rash. Riders can and will walk both . Could they be optional and signed as such?

From Dave Jaecks
    "The routes look like a 2 to me, but it appears that the last mile or so into Cashmere is along the highway contrary to the flow of traffic. Not pleasant or safe but probably no worse than trying to venture across the highway."

I personally have never ridden the highway the opposite direction of traffic going into Cashmere. Doesn't sound like something I would like to do. I prefer crossing the highway at Anjou Bakery and then crossing again at Aplets Way. I wouldn't recommend the dirt road as a route, I think it would intimitate many people.

Administrator
    Alan, re riding the the highway in the opposite direction as the flow of traffic (for westbound cyclists headed that quarter mile into Cashmere). The idea is that a jersey barrier would be placed here to separate the cyclists from the motorists. In essence you would end up with a bike lane that is like the bike lane across the Odabashian Bridge -- people riding the Loop counterclockwise are going against the traffic flow but are shielded from motorists.

Administrator
    Feedback from a few legal eagles.Todd Kiez, who was not able to bill us his hourly rate, was succinct and to the point:

"Looks good. I like the spots."

Meanwhile Gil Sparks may have misunderstood us when we said 'it would pay to have him weigh-in.' Still we appreciate his chattiness:

"I suspect you are going to get a number of opinions and most folks who have ridden the route have their preferences and alternates. If we are voting, then your #2 gets my vote. I do not ride on the highway, unless absolutely necessary and prefer to avoid dirt roads. I suspect newer riders may have a similar preference. Usually, when I ride this route I got via Sleepy Hollow to Anjou bakery. I chose to cross the highway there and take the back roads to the second stoplight, then cross back over, go up Stine Hill to the Dryden light and back across the highway and back roads as much as possible to Peshastin and then on North Road to LV. Due to my preference to stay off the highway, I often come back the same route to the Big Y then over Deadman’s Hill and back into Cashmere and stay on the river side between Cashmere and Anjou and usually back the same way I came from there. Thanks to everyone for their work and may you have tailwinds for all your rides."

I think I would rather cross the hwy than navigate the parking lot at Martin's and then the intersection by Rusty's if you had a bike lane on the south side of the hwy into Cashmere. That intersection is always a cluster.

I ride Cashmere to Wenatchee frequently, and prefer the Cottage - Old Monitor - Easy Street route. I like Kelly Road, but started avoiding it after numerous times finding trains stopped right across the road; once for 20 minutes. And for those of us who ride in the winter, Kelly Road is not regularly plowed.
    I've never ridden Cashmere to Leavenworth, but I'm looking forward to trying the route. Thanks for putting this together!

Administrator
    Comments from Mike Cummins:
    The mapped route is as good as any plan. Future improvements would be Highway alternative routes; lower elevation bypasses; and town bypasses. Currently this seems to be the route most consistently traveled.

Administrator
    Comment from Allan Galbraith:

For purposes of developing a regional bicycling plan, I think the committee's choice is as good as it can be. However, I think there is a fundamental error in considering there must be a single route, and perhaps the seminal point is that the "preferred" route is different, depending on whether one is traveling east- or west- bound.
    The problem, of course, is that Hwy 2 is divided.
    In reacting to the routes, it took me some time to determine why I was dwelling on my disappointment in Deadman's Hill being the 'preferred' alternative and that North Dryden Road and Sunset Road/Eels Road/E. Nahahum Road were disregarded. Because Hwy 2 is divided, the label of a 'single' route is deceptive: there are clearly better routes, depending on the whether one is traveling east- or west- bound. In fact, the beauty of cycling in the valley is that our choice is not limited to a single route but different routes, so it is not just an out-and-back trip.
    The single route mind-set should be reconsidered in favor of a west-bound and an east-bound route, and both should be signed.
    In my mind, there is one choke point that overrides the all that can be debated about whether one or another route is preferred: the lack of a shoulder of both sides of the bridge between Dryden and the Big Y (west-bound: Alice St. to Saunders Road; east bound: Hwy 2/Deadman's to Johnson Road. If the shoulder was widened to the same width as the rest of the roadway then we would have something that can be 'marketable'.

story in the WW today:

CHELAN COUNTY — A group of local advocates for recreation has offered to pay for signing along a popular, off-highway bike route between Wenatchee and Leavenworth, if Chelan County commissioners pledge their support.

“Everyone knows how scary riding on the highway is,” Bob Parlette, spokesman for the group, said Tuesday. “We just want to get the ball rolling. Take the first step.”

The route is over paved, public roads. A small portion is along busy Highway 2 between Dryden and Peshastin.

Local cyclists often refer to it as the “Fruit Loop” for its scenic meanderings around orchards, Parlette said.

The group seeks to make it easily identifiable as an alternate and safer route for cyclists.

The group includes Parlette, Bob Bugert, executive director of the Chelan-Douglas Land Trust; Andy Dappen, publisher of the Wenatchee Outdoors website; and Shiloh Schauer, executive director of the Wenatchee Valley Chamber of Commerce.

They asked Chelan County commissioners Tuesday to support the project and authorize the county’s Community Development and Public Works officials to work with them, possibly identifying existing posts where the signs could be mounted.

Commission chair Doug England said the commission will study the proposal and likely decide Monday.

Parlette’s “Complete the Loop Coalition,” a key lobbyist and fundraiser for extending the east side of the Apple Capital Recreation Loop Trail to Lincoln Rock State Park, would pay for the signs, he said.

The Coalition has yet to calculate how much the signs would cost, he said.

Patrick Walker, bicycle and pedestrian planner for the Wenatchee Valley Transportation Council, said the portion of the route north of Wenatchee is already part of the Greater Wenatchee Bicycle Master Plan.

From the Apple Capital Recreation Loop trail at Wenatchee’s Olds Station, the route heads northwest to Monitor along Easy Street or Sleepy Hollow Road.

From Monitor, cyclists take Old Monitor Road and Cottage Avenue to Cashmere and then continue northwest along Sunset Highway, Stines Hill Road and Deadman Hill Road.

The route crosses Highway 2/97 just north of Dryden and continues on Saunders Road until it hits the highway farther north. Cyclists then ride along the highway to Peshastin, where they cross the Wenatchee River bridge and continue to Leavenworth along North Road.

The entire loop covers about 48 miles.